How to make trains and remotes work??
Just popping in
I just bought a used GeoTrax set on eBay. My first experience with GeoTrax other than my son playing with them at a friend's house and absolutely falling in love with them.

The trains in the set will light up when I put batteries in them. However, I cannot get them to move (even though I have installed new batteries in the remotes). Am I doing something wrong or was I sold trains that don't work? Also, the lights on top of the trains stay on continuously, I have to take the batteries out to get the light to shut off. Any help would be appreciated!

One more question...the remotes appear that they can be hooked up to a battery charger. Can anyone tell me about this?

Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/10/22 10:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: How to make trains and remotes work??
Just popping in
I would check to see if you have the right remote for the train. There is a picture of the train on the top of the remote. The light doesn't go off. I got my son a set for Christmas and wondered the same thing. It goes off when it hasn't been in use for awhile. They go through batteries pretty quickly so might be time to invest in rechargable batteries. The "charging" section on the remote was for a "house" that you could put your remotes in so they wouldn't fall over and you could run them from one place. I'm not sure if it charged them or not. I don't think that is available anymore. I'm pretty new to this but have bought older trains and sets off craigslist. I saw one the other day listed on there where the pictures were really blurry and even then I could tell that the remote didn't match the train.

FP is pretty helpful you could call them and see what they say.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/10/22 16:25

Just can't stay away
I would definitely make sure you have the right remotes for the right trains. We've had ours for over 5 years and they all still work just fine.

The "charging" feature you talked about is not a charger. The remotes fit into a Depot and the Depot allowed the remotes to make train sounds. Later on the sounds were built into the remotes, but if the remotes have the sound built in they won't have the gold connection plates on them. Fisher Price used to sell the Depot as a replacement part on their website, but I don't know if they still do.

Like the previous poster said, the lights on top of the train will just stay on for a certain period of time after you use the train and then they turn off by themselves.

Maybe you can post a picture of your set and the people on this site can help you match trains to remotes.

Good Luck. GeoTrax are soo fun!

Posted on: 2009/10/22 18:29

Just popping in
We've had the original starter set and the other depot vehicles since 2003 when they came out and we just got them out again to play with. The problem is that none of the remote trains seem to be working.

All of the trains red lights come on but we can seem to get any of them to work with their respective remotes. We've even used all new AAA batteries. I find it hard to believe that all 4 remotes and /or trains died at the same time. Anyone got any ideas about what might be wrong? Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/11/1 19:02

Just popping in
I have the same problem with the original vehicles from 2003. The lights come on but the vehicles will not move. Does anyone have any ideas?

Posted on: 2009/11/24 13:51

Just popping in
Just got off the phone with FP and they do not have any idea why these remotes do not work. I was told that they have no other complaints like mine regard these older models.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 16:13

Just popping in
I use scotch tape to tape the train button down so the batteries don't wear out. Some of the trains automatically turn off after a few minutes but some of them stay on for a lot longer. Also, because we have multiple trains, remotes and trains cars in a storage container the tape stops the trains from accidentily turning on.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 15:53

Just popping in
I think they were playing dumb, we've had several trains simply crap out in the manner described. I think maybe theres a bad solder joint on the board somewhere as I've seen that with the ambulance on the speaker.

Posted on: 2010/2/27 14:35

Just popping in
Same story here, we brought out the set yesterday after a year or so of disuse, installed new batteries, and neither of two trains would work. The train engine LEDs light up. The remotes work (they activate the sound station and I can see via a camcorder--they make IR visible, try it!--that they're transmitting). My daughter had got the track layout going while I was messing with the batteries--such a disappointment when they didn't budge. I could see one not working but zero for two seems awfully suspect.

Posted on: 2010/3/7 18:35

Just popping in
Has anyone had any success with getting unresponsive trains to work? I've gotten 2 brutus and bulls second hand and both didnt work. I got 1 to work after using a cleaner to get rid of the corrision on the battery terminal but overnight it stopped working. Is brutus and bull just a problematic train. My kid has almost 20 older trains and they work fine.

Posted on: 2010/4/9 13:06

GeoTrax is a trademark of Fisher Price®
Theme by Michael HOKAMP